Party Wall Act

The Party Wall Act can be a confusing and a complicated process to those not familiar with it. It is a legal requirement in the same way as Planning Permission and Building Regulations are.

​Norton Surveyors are a specialist firm of Party Wall Surveyors and we are here to assist in all aspects of the Act, from initial advice all the way through to administering the Act on behalf of either or both parties.​

What does the Party Wall Act do?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 placed on property-owners in England and Wales a legal obligation to follow the Party Wall Act procedures when building work influences a Party Wall or structure. 

The Act was created to enable homeowners to develop their property and at the same time provide legal protection to their neighbours against damage to their own property. 

Virtually all attached properties have (and on occasion detached) Party Walls and Party Structures. A Party Wall or Structure separates you and your neighbour’s property, sometimes even a garden wall when straddling the boundary line.

When you instigate work, which will influence the Party Wall or Party Structure you must serve the relevant Party Wall Notice on your neighbour’s and get their agreement before you commence your building works. Agreement can be a simple reply saying yes, or may go to the extent of a Party Wall Award with several actions for the parties to adhere to.